[gdal-dev] Wiki whist list page ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Dec 12 06:48:35 PST 2014

Hi,

Seeing Jukka's effort those last days to clean dust from GDAL Trac tickets
(folks, please give him a huge thank, as this is one of the most tedious task
possible !), I was wondering if enhancement tickets shouldn't be migrated to a
single, and structured, page, especially when there are really under the whish
list form, without any proposed patch or data, where the ticket system doesn't
bring much value.
I'm not sure this will solve or improve anything either. Just the feeling that
those enhancement tickets are burried forever (and sometimes ideas expressed
in those tickets have been finally implemented independantly), so I was
wondering about an alternative. At least a few issues I can anticipate:
- will users know that this page exists and use it appropriately ? (e.g. we
wouldn't want bug reports to go here, or would we ?)
- can we assume that they will be willing/able to edit a wiki page ?

On the plus side, it could be a nice entry point for people who want to start
contributing something (GSoC students) and don't have precise ideas (although
your own ideas are generally a better motivation than the ones of somebody
else)

So here's my proposed skeleton :
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/WishList

Another variation would be to keep it just as a skeleton and use Trac requests
by keywords to fill the various categories (like done in
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ECW and similar pages for example)

Even