[gdal-dev] Can't get gdal_rasterize to work... with anything.

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 11:09:10 PST 2014

13.12.2014, 18:07, Karen Pease kirjoitti:
> Okay, so, I think this may be getting me a bit closer to a solution.
>
> The output image of your command still wasn't viewable to me, either in
> gimp or gwenview. However, when I used ImageMagick to convert it to a
> PNG or other format, for the first time I saw some detail, so I guess
> it's a tif format that the former two can't read. I tried this approach
> on the actual dataset I want to use - IS50V_HAEDARGOGN_24122013_ISN2004.
> And indeed, the two stage process worked - to get height lines. But what
> I actually want is a 3d height map image, where dark colors are low and
> bright colors are high and so forth. So I switched from -burn 1 to the
> -3d flag. Now it started outputting 64 bit float files, however; convert
> couldn't handle them, nor tifftopnm. So I went back to specifying -ot
> Byte or -ot UInt16 so I can use convert. However, the images just come
> out all black. This is the same result I get if output directly to pnm
> with -of PNM.
Karen,

GeoTIFFs are usually only for GIS programs, not for general image viewers.

I downloaded the elevation data (~500 MB) and to me it looks like it is
elevation points and lines. To make a DEM (raster where cell values are
elevations) you would need to use a tool like gdal_grid with the point file.

Best,

Ari