[gdal-dev] GDAL GeoPackage raster support

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Dec 17 02:18:57 PST 2014

Stefan,

> I'm playing with the new Geopackage raster support which is really nice.
> Thanks for that. Some feedback so far:

> really slow when there are no  overviews [2].

As will other formats with a dataset of the same size I guess ?

> * Adding overviews to some areal images is really slow: gdaladdo only eats
> < 10 % of the cpu. Is this some slow storage medium issue (harddisk)?

In the update scenario like gdaladdo, an optimization that is used when
creating the file from scratch (gdal_translate) isn't applied. You can try
adding "--config OGR_SQLITE_SYNCHRONOUS OFF" on the gdaladdo command line. I
suspect this must be the issue. I was a bit hesitant to apply it by default in
update cases since it means that a interruption of the process (ctrl-c) could
damage the database. But this is generally the case for other formats, so we
probably could apply it too.

Even