[gdal-dev] Fast Pixel Access

Daniel Clewley daniel.clewley at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 11:45:27 PST 2014

Hi David,

Following on from the VRT / Bigtiff comparison Jukka posted. Have you considered storing the data as a single KEA format file, which is based on HDF5?

I have the National Elevation Dataset for the US, which comprises 3,605 1 x 1 degree tiles at 1 arc sec resolution. I first created a VRT then used gdal_translate to convert to a KEA file. Total size is 421,212 x 252,012 pixels, 77 GB. I also built overviews for a fast display (this took a long time and I don't think is needed for your case).

I've just tried using gdallocationinfo on the file to get pixel information and it takes < 0.5s to get the pixel value back.

The KEA library and GDAL driver source are available from:

https://bitbucket.org/chchrsc/kealib/

and the format is described in:

Peter Bunting, Sam Gillingham, The KEA image file format, Computers & Geosciences, Volume 57, August 2013, Pages 54-58, ISSN 0098-3004, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2013.03.025.

If you don't mind having one massive file (in addition to the individual tiles, which could be archived), this might work for your use case.

Thanks,

Dan