[gdal-dev] Misc. subjects : OSGeo Vienna code sprint, release plans, GDAL 2.0

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Feb 13 13:14:20 PST 2014

Hi,

I've confirmed my presence to the OSGeo Vienna code sprint (
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Vienna_Code_Sprint_2014 ). Are there folks that
will be there and indent doing some work on GDAL ? Any particular topics of
interest ?

It could be the opportunity to take a crack at some changes that have been
mentionned for some time and are listed at
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GDAL20Changes

We should decide how to manage the 2.0 transition. I think that the 2.0 number
should be reserved as the opportunity of introducing breaking changes in the
API / ABI. But this might take a long time to implement all that is listed
above, so there's a risk we end up with a trunk that is never ready for
release for years. Not a good thing.
On the other hand, we could just be more modest and take breaking changes as
they are introduced and raise the major version number (so the yearly version
after 2.0 could be 3.0). This will require projects using GDAL to adapt
multiple times.
An alternative would be to prepare the API for new features even if they are
not implemented, but that's a difficult exercise and there's a risk that at
implementation time, the API doesn't fit.
Any thoughts ?

Currently we have no such breakage in trunk so it could qualify as GDAL 1.11.
Perhaps we should just release it as such for now before the bigger changes ?

Somes topics I can see for GDAL 2.0 that impact API/ABI :
- well, the mythological unification of OGR driver model with GDAL driver
model.
- XYZM support
- Curve geometries
- 64 bit integer support

Other possible structural changes :
- Change of master version control system: switch to git / GitHub ?
- New build system : cmake ?

Of course all of this will more likely happen if contributors or funders show
up !

Even

--
Geospatial professional services