[gdal-dev] gdal_translate - Generate Full 1 deg x 1 deg tile from partial data

Metzen osgeo at gzmarketing.com
Fri Jan 17 07:34:46 PST 2014

I'm using gdalbuildvrt to combine a bunch of .dem files into a larger .vrt
file, then using gdal_translate to slice this into 1 deg x 1 deg tiles.

gdalbuildvrt index.vrt *.dem

gdal_translate -of USGSDEM -projwin -88.0001042 52.0001042 -86.9998958
50.9998958 index.vrt output/N52W088.dem

The problem comes when I need a 1 x 1 tile of an area that only has partial
data.  Then I get "Computed -srcwin falls outside raster size".

Is there a way I can pad the .vrt with null or 0values so the index.vrt
raster size is larger and I can export a 1 x 1 tile?  The area I need to pad
is all ocean, so 0 or null would be fine.