[gdal-dev] [RFC] [GDAL] Idea for GSoC, 2014

Kshitij Kansal kansal.k at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 11:41:15 PST 2014

Hello

Thank you for you suggestions.

Joaquim

I looked into the link regarding Affine-SIFT that you provided. Indeed the
results that are shown there are very promising. If we can bring this to
one of the core functionality of GDAL then it would not only help in this
project but many more digital image/computer vision related projects.

Rutger

Yes the main aim to propose this idea into GDAL community is to bring this
functionality into the core GDAL functionality. I checked with the other
communities like QGIS or GRASS or even OPTICKS, but this functionality of
automatic geo-referencing is not present and till now no work has been done
in this direction. If implemented here, these communities can directly
adapt our thing and then build on this.

As we can see that we have a lot of algorithms to start with. Some kind of
analysis like "Estimating the shift between two georeferenced images". This
was something Chaitanya was talking about.

Also there was something me and Chaitanya discussed about, like matching
 raster with vector datasets, for example, GPX data could be used to match
roads.

Once we have this available in our core functionality of GDAL, we can
easily use it to make "*Raster / Vector Geo-referencer on the Web*" which
was the original idea proposed by the community in GS0C'13.

Any Comments or Suggestions?
Suggestions for getting started..

Regards,

Kshitij Kansal