[gdal-dev] [RFC] [GDAL] Idea for GSoC, 2014

Kshitij Kansal kansal.k at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 22:55:38 PST 2014

Hello

@Jukka Rahkonen: The OSSIM project (the link you provided) is more of image
orthorectification. Although
they are doing image co-registration but its as one of the steps of
orthorectification(I could only understand this from the manual).
Also I am not sure of the techniques they are using for this purposes. (Its
written corner point detection but How?)
I am new to OSSIM, so not aware of this thing's functionality and accuracy.
I am in the process of estimating it.

Thank you for pointing this out.

Coming to the Frank Warmerdam's blog (http://fwarmerdam.blogspot.fi/). Here
the author is talking about writing a code for converting the GCP's into
RPC's. But the next question comes is where is he getting GCP's from. Now
this is the part where I aim to work on and improve.

Given two images, if we can automatically extract GCP's from them then we
are in a way speeding up and automating this whole process. Once we have
GCP, there are a lot of things that we can do from them like
geo-referencing(which I plan on doing), image stitching etc.

*Also you talked about a "more light weighted system". Can you please
elaborate on this?* I could not understand what you actually meant from
that.

If we look into the last year idea's page (
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SummerOfCode), there is one idea that is
proposed regarding the "Raster/Vector geo-referencer on the Web". I want to
modify this idea a little bit and want to automate the whole process. As
far as the automation is concerned, we can develop GDAL functions for
that(which will be completely re-usable) and then developing a Web based
geo-referencer would only require calling those functions.

If we do this thing,* two objectives will be fulfilled*.* First*, GDAL will
get a web based geo-referencer. *Secondly*, communities that use GDAL and
have not developed these kind of geo-referencer(Like QGIS) can directly use
the functions developed and then build on that.

Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Thank you for your propositions.

Regards,

Kshitij Kansal