[gdal-dev] GeoPDF fails despite poppler/godofo

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Jul 2 09:52:18 PDT 2014

John,

if you did several attempts of ./configure and intermediate builds, you may
need to "make clean" before "make; make install". The dependencies rules of
the GDAL makefiles are rather primitive and don't generally notice in-between
configuration changes

The write-side of the PDF driver is only driver, and gdalinfo --formats has no
way of indicating a write-only driver, so it is possible that the PDF support
available is write-only despite the rw.

The content of config.log is OK, so I'm confident that cleaning before
rebuilding should solve your issue.

Even

> I am unable to get a GDAL 1.11.0 build to recognize any GeoPDF I have
> obtained from the USGS, despite having configured with poppler and
> podofo, both separately and together.  Running
>   usr/local/bin/gdalinfo CA_Rana_Creek_20120306_TM_geo.pdf
> gives
>  ERROR 4: `CA_Rana_Creek_20120306_TM_geo.pdf' not recognised as a
> supported file format.
> Otherwise GDAL utilities seem to run without problems.
> Output from  "/usr/local/bin/gdalinfo --formats" includes "PDF (rw):
> Geospatial PDF"
>
> Details are: Ubuntu 14.04, separately built GDAL 1.11.0
> after using apt-get to get Ubuntu version of poppler and podofo. (I also
> installed
> the Ubuntu version of GDAL, for which /usr/bin/gdalinfo gave the same
> result.)
> The config.log (for --with-poppler) includes statements
>   configure:27673: checking for poppler
>   configure:27744: checking if we have Poppler >= 0.20.0
>   configure:27755: checking if we have Poppler >= 0.23.0
>   HAVE_POPPLER='yes'
>   LIBS='-lpoppler -lexpat -lnetcdf -lmfhdfalt -ldfalt -ljpeg -ltiff
> -lpng -lz -lpthread -lm -lrt -ldl '
>   POPPLER_0_20_OR_LATER='yes'
>   POPPLER_0_23_OR_LATER='yes'
>   POPPLER_BASE_STREAM_HAS_TWO_ARGS='yes'
>   POPPLER_HAS_OPTCONTENT='yes'
>   POPPLER_INC='-I/usr/include -I/usr/include/poppler'
>
> I'm at a loss to figure out how to get GDAL to recognize/use the
> GeoPDFs (my intent is to create GeoTiffs from them using
> gdal_translate), since on-line search finds that failure to include
> poppler or podofo is generally the reason for a "ERROR 4" result -
> but that is not the case here.
>
> Jack

Geospatial professional services