[gdal-dev] how can a Geotiff occupy three times the disk space of an ASCII Grid?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 08:25:48 PDT 2014

> QGIS is usually just calls to gdal, which makes this even more mysterious.

Yes, in the end it uses gdal, but it chooses the way blocks are read and
written.
If I remember correctly geotiff final sizes may depend on block ordering
and memory alignment.
Maybe this is the case, QGIS raster provider not doing the best at this
level? Don't know, but this discussion is for the QGIS ml ;)

giovanni

--
Giovanni Allegri
http://about.me/giovanniallegri