[gdal-dev] Reading shapefile PRJ failing

mccorb mccorb at cox.net
Sat Jul 12 09:45:24 PDT 2014

So I have tracked this down to the fact that the PRJ files that I have been
given to use have a BOM of 0xEF 0xBB 0xBF for the first three bytes of the
file.

When I use the shapefiles that have these byte order markers the Layer class
method getSpatialRef() (java JNI bindings) returns null. I am guessing that
the PRJ file is being opened in binary mode instead of text mode possibly?

Regardless, is there any setting I can make to coerce the file opener/reader
into ignoring the BOM when grabbing the WKT from the PRJ file?

thanks