[gdal-dev] Which format is the best identify a spatial reference ?

orel aurelien.albert at alyotech.fr
Tue Jul 15 00:45:22 PDT 2014

Hi,

Spatial references objects can be imported / exported using OGR API to
multiple formats : proj4, WKT, XML...

Can I use one of these as a format "which describes properly every spatial
reference" ?

For example, if I use WKT as "internal format" for my application, is there
any chance that a projection described with a proj4 string (or an EPSG code
or whatever...) cannot be properly converted to a WKT string ?

My goal is to use a single spatial reference format when storing/loading
work sessions of my application.

Thanks.