[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.7.3 can't read tiff written by GDAL 1.11

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Mon Jul 21 13:46:04 PDT 2014

Le lundi 21 juillet 2014 22:18:27, Eli Adam a écrit :
>  Hi all,
>
> I've got some recent tiff data that can't be read by GDAL 1.7.3
> ("gdalinfo.exe has stopped working").  It appears to work fine with
> GDAL 1.11.  The output from GDAL 1.11 can't be read by GDAL 1.7.3
> either.  Hmm, oddly it seems to work with GDAL 1.6.
>
> I have an older MapServer and GDAL that I'd like to use with new data
> without updating MapServer and GDAL so my goal is find a way to use or
> alter the data so it is usable by GDAL 1.7.3.  I also want to know if
> the data is valid and complies with the the geotif specification.

Looks reasonable at first sight

> This is on Windows 7 and OSGeo4W although I also had some similar
> issues on Ubuntu 10.04.  Below are GDAL 1.11 version, gdalinfo with
> debug, listgeo, and finally gdal_translate output that can't be read
> by GDAL 1.7.3 (attached).  There are messages about "GTIFF: converting
> geokey to meters to fix bug in old libgeotiff"

Yes, tricky issue with non-meter linear unit. See ticket
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/3901 to get heavily confused.

Related to that, I guess your listgeo is from libgeotiff 1.3 or older since it
should display ProjFalseEastingGeoKey: 2500000.000000 m normally

> and "TIFFReadDirectory:
> Warning, Unknown field with tag 2457 (0x999) encountered."

Cannot find its definition in the TIFF tag catalog, but shouldn't cause issues.
This will be ignored

> Further
> below the GDAL1.11 information, is GDAL 1.7.3 showing that it can't be
> read and the error output.
>
> Do 06S08W19_gdal1_11_ouput2.tif and 06S08W19.tif conform to the geotif
> specification and contain valid data? Any suggestions on how to keep
> using my older install without updating?

I managed to read your attachef file with latest state of 1.7 branch (1.7.3
with a few additional fixes) on Linux, and cannot see anything in the log
between this and 1.7.3 that could explain the issue. However, as more or less
expected, the georeferencing is not read correctly (since #3901 was fixed in
1.8) and the false easting value is multiplied by 1. / 0.3048.

You will never (or with much difficulty) manage to make it work with non-meter
linear units in old GDAL releases. I'd encourage you warping it into a UTM
projection for example.

Best regards,

Even

--