[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.7.3 can't read tiff written by GDAL 1.11

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Jul 21 18:18:52 PDT 2014

>> I just looked these up on EPSG and now my basic understanding of
>> ticket 3901 is faltering.
>> http://www.epsg-registry.org/report.htm?type=selection&entity=urn:ogc:def:c
>> rs:EPSG::6558&entity=urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::6559&reportDetail=long&style=urn
>> :uuid:report-style:default-with-urn&style_name=OGP%20Default%20With%20Urn&t
>> itle=Oregon_foot_meter
>>
>> Is it incorrect to report ProjFalseOriginEastingGeoKey (Double,1):
>> 8202099.73753281 with ProjLinearUnitsGeoKey (Short,1): Linear_Foot?
>
> It is correct, but the listgeo output also lists afterwards something like :
>
> Projection Method: CT_LambertConfConic_2SP
>    ProjFalseOriginLatGeoKey: 43.666667 ( 43d40' 0.00"N)
>    ProjFalseOriginLongGeoKey: -120.500000 (120d30' 0.00"W)
>    ProjStdParallel1GeoKey: 44.333333 ( 44d20' 0.00"N)
>    ProjStdParallel2GeoKey: 46.000000 ( 46d 0' 0.00"N)
>    ProjFalseEastingGeoKey: 2500000.000000 m
>    ProjFalseNorthingGeoKey: 0.000000 m
> Projection Linear Units: 9002/foot (0.304800m)
>
> where ProjFalseEastingGeoKey is normalized in meters.

I missed this on initial reading.  Thanks for pointing it out and
letting me learn some more.

>> > I managed to read your attachef file with latest state of 1.7 branch
>> > (1.7.3 with a few additional fixes) on Linux, and cannot see anything in
>> > the log between this and 1.7.3 that could explain the issue. However, as
>> > more or less expected, the georeferencing is not read correctly (since
>> > #3901 was fixed in 1.8) and the false easting value is multiplied by 1.
>> > / 0.3048.
>>
>> Would different versions of libgeotiff explain it working (with
>> incorrect georeferencing?) for you and erroring out for me?
>
> No idea why it crashes on osgeo4w. Well, I somehow remember that there have
> been ABI changes in libgeotiff between versions, but if that was the case of a
> mismatch between actual libgeotiff ABI and the one expected by the GDAL build,
> then it would likely crash on most geotiff files, and not that one only. Does it
> crash only on that geotiff ? Anyway that's an old version, and you cannot undo
> the past, just try to make the future better ;-)

GDAL 1.7.3 in OSGeo4W only crashes on this collection of geotiffs and
works fine on other files.  Thanks for spending time on what is
probably perceived by you as an ancient version and probably of little
interest to you.  You are always making the future better; thanks for
all your work in that regard.  Thanks also for going out of your way
to help all users at all levels.  I've found the GDAL-dev list to be
kind and welcoming to all who write.

Sincerely, Eli