[gdal-dev] A tools to change the ascii code upper 128 in shapefile

Andrea Peri aperi2007 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 04:51:26 PDT 2014

Hi,
Quite often the shapefile that are used to publish data on mapserver
are filled with some characters upper 128 ascii code that will do some
troble in the GetFeatureInfo response (in html).

So I'm evaluating to start towrite some procedure to  scan a shapefile
(or a set of shapefiles) and change programmatically every code upper
128 ascii code with a lower 128 ascii-code.

The strategy is quite simply.
in text field: check is there is some character rather than
alphabetica allowed (a,b,c,d.....,0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9) or some
character like:
.,;:-@# and so on .If there is something otherwise this
change it with a space !

I like to use the gdal-api to open and scan the shapefile, but I'm not
sure is the better environment
due too specifically question (detect over 128 ascii code).

My question is when there is a character upper 128 ascii code,
gdal-api return it correctly or wrong himself ?

Any though ?

Thx,