[gdal-dev] Passing Unicode data to MSSQL-server

klo uo klonuo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:38:35 PDT 2014

Hi,

while trying to export UTF-8 encoded geojson to mssql-server, I get columns
with wrongly encoded text. `ogr2ogr` sets these columns to type `varchar`
which represent single byte strings (ANSI), while for "Unicode" strings the
type should be `nvarchar`. That "Unicode" is UTF-16LE  and mssql-server
apparently converts utf-8 to utf-16 on the fly if column type is right.

Imagining I can't make `ogr2ogr` to put Unicode data in mssql-server table,
I thought to convert initial geojson to my local code page and try to
import that - results in wrongly encoded text again. Then tried harder by
passing `-lco ENCODING=my-code-page` with unfortunately same result.

Can someone assist, how to pass data in local character set from `ogr2ogr`
to MSSQL table?

I use GDAL 1.11.0

Thanks