[gdal-dev] Bus Error (memory error)

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Mar 1 02:18:10 PST 2014

Le samedi 01 mars 2014 02:08:09, Gpetr a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to process a raster image via Gdal when it's happened an
> unexpected error. A Bus Error. After that, QGIS can not start. Also I
> recieve the same error when I'm trying to execute any of the GDAL commands
> via terminal.
> I know that this error happens when a process is trying to access memory
> that the CPU cannot physically address.

Gpetr,

Well, you could give a few more details, for example :
- the GDAL version used
- what kind of raster (which GDAL driver) are you trying to open ?
- which GDAL command do you try: gdalinfo, gdal_translate ?
- type of CPU: Intel-like ? (bus error can happen more frequently on other
hardware architectures such as Sparc)
- a link to the file you try to open or provide it as an attachment to a ticket
to http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/newticket
- if you have the gdb utility installed, a stacktrace of the GDAL utility when
the bus error occurs (and/or the same with the valgrind utility)

> I checked my log files and the output of the error is the following:

Hum, well perhaps hard disk failure could give a crash in portion of code that
don't properly check the return code of I/O operations. But difficult to know
and fix without knowing where the crash occurs within GDAL.

Even

--
Geospatial professional services