[gdal-dev] Recommended strategy to handle MIF file with a few big multipolygons

Jorge Arevalo jorgearevalo at libregis.org
Mon Mar 10 15:32:58 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'm working with a MIF file, contaning just 5 multipolygons (in form
of "regions", in MapInfo terms). But the file weights 700MB. So, the
multipolygons are really big. I'd like to transform my file to SHP or
PostGIS using ogr2ogr, but any operation takes forever.

My current approach is to use -sql flag this way:

ogr2ogr -sql "select * from my_layer where fid = 1" my_layer.shp my_layer.mif

But after 2 hours, it still continues working. I've activated debug,
and last text I've seen is: "Shape: Treating as encoding
'ISO-8859-1'."

All the clip operations I've tried with ogr2ogr have the same
problems: I have to wait hours, and after that, I just get a SHP of
100 Bytes. So, I kill the process.

Should I be more patient? Or is there any smarter approach to handle
this kind of file?

Jorge Arevalo
Freelance developer

http://about.me/jorgeas80