[gdal-dev] New compression library based on gdal design

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Mar 21 07:26:21 PDT 2014

Aaron Boxer <boxerab <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
> I recently started developing an open source jpeg2000 compression library
using opencl.
> I would like to base the library design on the very successful gdal
library design.
> Can anyone recomend any resources to help me to grok the high level design
of gdal?

> Thanks so much,
> Aaron

Hi,

I would like to see something that is open source and fast with JPEG2000. I
think that it would be OK to support only a subset of JPEG2000 standard if
the basic operations would be super fast. I took just a moment ago some
timings for another purpose but they may be interesting. I converted the
same 12000x12000 pixel image (432 MB uncompressed) with a few different methods:

GDAL (64-bit) from tiff to tiff: 3 seconds
GDAL (64-bit) ECWJP2 (SDK 5.0) from lossless JPEG2000 to tiff: 21 seconds
GDAL (64-bit) JP2KAK (SDK 7.3.2) from lossless JPEG2000 to tiff: 14 seconds
Kakadu 7.3.2 (64-bit) kdu_expand from lossless JPEG2000 to tiff: 7 seconds.

The new library with opencl should be at least as fast as ECWJP2 with GDAL
but the faster the better.

It is interesting to see that native Kakadu application was two times faster
than GDAL with JP2KAK driver of the same Kakadu version. Of course the use
case is very simple.

-Jukka Rahkonen-