[gdal-dev] Installing GDAL on Win7

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Mon Mar 24 05:31:08 PDT 2014

On 3/24/2014 6:01 AM, Norman Vine wrote:
>> Thank you all.  I got it to work with the following
>> command:
>> gdal_translate -of GTiff -co "TILED=YES" -co "TFW=YES" C:\Copy\wp.pdf C:\Copy\wpt.tif --config GDAL_PDF_DPI 300
> I would experiment with adding one of these Creation Options
> -co "COMPRESS=LZW"
> -co "COMPRESS=PACKBITS"
> -co "COMPRESS=DEFLATE"

Excellent suggestions - Thank you.

LZW - 14% Compression
PACKBITS - No Compression
DEFLATE - 36% Compression

However DEFLATE is totally unreadable:
http://www.mflan.com/temp/deflate.jpg
in both Global Mapper and QGIS.

PACKBITS and LZW both look great in GM.

I see the excellent suggestions by Jukka Rahkonen.

Using JPEG at default compression gives:
JPEG - 78% Compression

The quality of the JPEG is very good also.  You can
barely tell the difference from LZW.  It has more
Moliere affect at extreme zoom-in.

Using JPEG at 85% compression gives:
JPEG - 72% Compression
Less Moliere affect at extreme zoom-in.

Using JPEG at 90% compression gives:
JPEG - 66% Compression

Using JPEG at 100% compression gives:
JPEG - 27% Compression

All things considered I think I'm going to go
with the 85% compression.  A 10.1MB PDF turns
into a 26.2MB TIFF, which would zip to 26.0MB
if anybody cared to zip it.

Thanks for all your help.
You guys saved me a lot of time.

Mike