[gdal-dev] Misc. subjects : OSGeo Vienna code sprint, release plans, GDAL 2.0

Mateusz Łoskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Mar 31 12:13:53 PDT 2014

On 31 March 2014 20:17, Etienne Tourigny <etourigny.dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a few suggestions for gdal 2.0, based on my personal experience in
> learning to use, enhance and maintain gdal/ogr code.
>
> - replace cpl/csl/string/xml code with a mainstream, modern cross-platform
> toolkit such as QT, boost, etc.

IMHO, there is no need to look that far, at Qt or Boost.
There is plenty of features in C++, some features of C++11 could be
conditionally-enabled as well.

Replacing some of the homegrown utilities with C++ std would make things
slightly better in terms of API discoverability, self-documented,
easier to use, ...
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1629

Mateusz  Łoskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net