[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr -f OCI fails on Windows

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 08:59:42 PDT 2014

Hi Martin,

Here is a list of the issues that I am planning to fix on that driver, once I have time, bur if you think they are important for you too we can share the work. The first item you have already started but you might think of adding that line to the session initialization:

1)  Always create tables using VARCHAR2
specifications for character strings. Without this, loading into UTF8
databases is not possible. The simplest to achieve this is to execute
this statement when connecting:
ALTER SESSION SET NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS=CHAR
2) When loading a shape file without
 any attributes, then the -overwrite parameter is ignored. When the
shape file has at least one attribute in the DBF file, then the
-overwrite parameter works fine: the OCI driver first drops the existing
 table before re-creating it. Only when the input shape file has no attributes.
3) When reading a view, the name of the view name must be in upper case

4) Add support for LOB attribute columns

5) Create the table with all the column definition at once instead of issuing one ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN statement for each column

I have started with # 4 but I didn't get very far.

Regards,

Ivan