[gdal-dev] GML and Spatial Reference

Ochs, Elke ERDC-RDE-CRREL-NH Elke.Ochs at erdc.dren.mil
Fri May 2 11:59:58 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'm not able to save a spatial reference to a GML file and would like help understanding why.  I'm creating a new GML from a copied feature.  I assign the spatial reference to both the output layer and geometry.  During debug, the layer and geometry report  that the SR has been assigned correctly (GetSratialRef/GetSpatialReference).  When I open the result GML file in another script, the spatial reference is empty.

It's a non-standard SRS (albers, units feet) - not sure if this is an issue.

I'm using GDAL 1.10 compiled with Expat.  I'm fairly new to all of this.  Any help is appreciated.  I'm including most of the script, b/c I'm not sure where my error might be.  Some of it is taken from the  GDAL/OGR Cookbook.

    drv = ogr.GetDriverByName("GML")
    ds = drv.Open(gmlin,0)

    srs = osr.SpatialReference()
    proj4str = "+proj=aea +lat_1=29.5n +lat_2=45.5n +lat_0=23.0n +lon_0=96.0w +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0.0 +units=us-ft +datum=NAD83"
    srs.ImportFromProj4(proj4str)

    lyr = ds.GetLayer()
    lyr.SetAttributeFilter("cat = " + cat)
    outds = drv.CreateDataSource(gmlout,options = ["FORMAT=GML3"])
    outlyr = outds.CreateLayer(outlyrname,srs,lyr.GetGeomType())
    inLayerDefn = lyr.GetLayerDefn()
    for i in range(0, inLayerDefn.GetFieldCount()):
        fieldDefn = inLayerDefn.GetFieldDefn(i)
        outlyr.CreateField(fieldDefn)
    outLayerDefn = outlyr.GetLayerDefn()

    for feat in lyr:
        geom = feat.GetGeometryRef()
        outfeat = ogr.Feature(outLayerDefn)
        for i in range(0, outLayerDefn.GetFieldCount()):
            outfeat.SetField(outLayerDefn.GetFieldDefn(i).GetNameRef(), feat.GetField(i))
        geom.AssignSpatialReference(srs)
        outfeat.SetGeometry(geom)
        outlyr.CreateFeature(outfeat)

Thank you,