[gdal-dev] compiling without writing permission - problem gdal-1.10.1

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Tue May 6 03:29:21 PDT 2014

On 6 May 2014 21:01, Margherita Di Leo <diregola at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem compiling gdal-1.10.1 on a Linux system for which I'm not
> administrator.
> In the configure I use the --prefix and --bindir options. Everything goes
> smoothly and it confirms that "Libraries have been installed in:" the folder
> that I selected (for which i have writing permission). After that, though,
> something goes wrong:
> How comes? What am I missing?

Unfortunately this is a bug: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4563

There are a few workarounds, such as installing the Python bindings
manually with the appropriate --prefix:
$ cd swig/python
$ python setup.py install --prefix=/to/where/you/want/it

or edit swig/python/GNUmakefile (line 71):

    $(PYTHON) setup.py install --prefix=$(DESTDIR)$(prefix)

-Mike