[gdal-dev] OSM driver to create separate tables for tags

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Wed May 14 09:33:29 PDT 2014

Am 14.05.2014 16:41, schrieb Jukka Rahkonen:

> I wonder if it would make any sense in the GDAL context to have an option in
> the OSM driver to separate geometries and tags and write them into their own
> tables. The structure of the resulting tables (5 + 5 for points, lines,
> multilines, multipolygons and relations) would be like:

Why would you distinguish between line and multiline? The database
schema for rendering does not do it, and the OSM data model does it not too.

What is still missing is any kind of support for the 'role' field in
relations. This is set for every member separately, not the whole
relation as tags do.
For public transport relations, the role specifies if a way is part of
the route, or a platform. Power relations work similar (line or
substation), and turn restrictions as well as destination signs make no
sense without them (from - via - to).

Apart from that, your scheme looks good. Not sure about performance
issues, if you have huge datasets.

Greetings,
André Joost