[gdal-dev] GDAL_DRIVER_PATH dll hell

Dmitriy Baryshnikov bishop.dev at gmail.com
Thu May 15 03:07:23 PDT 2014

Hi,

Yesterday I faced interesting problem on Win7 64 bit.
My program uses last gdal version 1.12. During start the error message
popuped in dialog that gdal v. 1.8 was not find and application closed.
I checked with dependency walker what were was no gdal 1.8 dependency in
application and all it dll's.
I found out that another program used the gdal 1.8  was installed on
that PC. And this program create env variable GDAL_DRIVER_PATH which
pointed on some non standard driver linked with gdal 1.8
My gdal 1.12 try to load this driver as GDAL_DRIVER_PATH was present and
crush as it was linked with gdal 1.8.
I solved it by setting CPLSetConfigOption("GDAL_DRIVER_PATH",
"disabled"); in my application, but this is not a good solution.
I think some version checking needed or something else. Anyhow I think
this is bug.
That do you think about this?
If this is a bug I'll create ticket.

     Dmitry