[gdal-dev] AREA_OR_POINT vs GDALMD_AREA_OR_POINT

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Thu May 29 13:50:32 PDT 2014

> This is what GDALMD_AREA_OR_POINT is supposed to do, although I can
> imagine that not all drivers will set it even if they should.

Ah, good news.

> > GDALSetMetadataItem(hDstDS, "GDALMD_AREA_OR_POINT", "Point", NULL);
>
> Don't do that !!! As I said before "GDALMD_AREA_OR_POINT" as no
> particular meaning within GDAL and is equivalent to a random metadata
> item. You could write as well "FOO".
>
> "GDALMD_AREA_OR_POINT" != GDALMD_AREA_OR_POINT
>
> but
>
> GDALMD_AREA_OR_POINT = "AREA_OR_POINT"

Glad to not do, but than I'm left with nothing. If I do instead as you say

     GDALSetMetadataItem(hDstDS, GDALMD_AREA_OR_POINT, "Point", NULL);

which than equivalent to

     GDALSetMetadataItem(hDstDS, "AREA_OR_POINT", "Point", NULL);

than, as I showed before and contrary to your python examples, the
GDALSetMetadataItem() is not working in our code.

> On which dataset do you this : a GTiff dataset ? Opened in update mode ?

No, not update mode. It's dataset filled an empty MEM. See (lines #167
and after)

http://gmtrac.soest.hawaii.edu/projects/gmt/repository/entry/branches/5.2.0/src/gmt_gdalwrite.c