[gdal-dev] OSM driver with z_order values

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Nov 10 08:16:41 PST 2014

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> spatialys.com> writes:

> Instead of outputing to finland.sqlite, try /vsimem/finland.sqlite. Of course
> you will have no file at the end, but it would be a good simulation of the
> potential performance gains (you should add to that number the time to copy a
> file from memory to disk).

Output to /vsimem without spatial indexes: 60 sec (vs. 66 sec when written
to disk file)
Output to /vsimem with spatial indexes: 141 sec (vs. 197 sec when written to
disk file)

Hmm, feels like the net difference with my data (file sizes: source 184 MB
PBF and target 830 MB SQLite) could be 30-40 seconds. Half a minute is not
much in desktop usage but for a busy web service it could make a difference
that counts.

-Jukka-