[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 51: RasterIO() improvements : resampling and progress callback

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Mon Nov 24 07:45:48 PST 2014

Even Rouault <even.rouault <at> spatialys.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> This is a call for discussion on a new RFC :
> RFC 51 RasterIO() improvements : resampling and progress callback
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc51_rasterio_resampling_progress
>
> Below the summary :
> """
> This RFC aims at extending the RasterIO() API to allow specifying a
resampling
> algorithm when doing requests involving subsampling or oversampling. A
> progress callback can also be specified to be notified of progression and
allow
> the user to interrupt the operation.
> """

Hi,

Gdaladdo seems to lose some resampling algorithms. The damage with
average_mp can't be big by reading the comment from the gdaladdo manual page
"average_mp is unsuitable for use. Average_magphase averages complex data in
mag/phase space."

Gdaladdo now:
-r {nearest (default),average,gauss,cubic,average_mp,average_magphase,mode}
Gdaladdo once RFC 51 is implemented:
-r parameter now accepts bilinear, cubicspline and lanczos as algorithms.

Otherwise I have not much to say about this RFC. "Blurring" has two r's, and
I think that it is good that gdal_translate will be able to use different
resampling methods and there will be no need to use gdalwarp if warping is
really not needed.

If you will touch gdal_translate anyway and it will do good job with
resampling I would like to see the same -tr option than in gdalwarp for
setting target resolution simply without a need to play with -outsize plus
-srcwin or -projwin.

-Jukka Rahkonen-