[gdal-dev] Multi-band JPEG2000 support?

jplacy2 jim.lacy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 08:31:34 PST 2014

Hi Folks-

I'm attempting to generate some 4-band JP2 files using the GDAL 1.11 Win64
binary acquired from gisinternals.com.

I quickly ran into a problem... JP2 driver doesn't like four bands:

gdal_translate --debug on -of JP2OpenJPEG test.tif test.jp2
GDAL: GDALOpen(test.tif, this=000000000061CB70) succeeds as GTiff.
Input file size is 5920, 7700
ERROR 6: Unable to export files with 4 bands
GDAL: GDALClose(test.tif, this=000000000061CB70)

So my question is simple: what options are there for creating multi-band
jpeg2000's with GDAL on the Windows platform?  I understand there are other
driver options, but from what I have read, they all require a license and/or
a recompile of GDAL from the source... the latter is not really in my skill
set.

Thanks for any guidance,
Jim