[gdal-dev] LZW Compression on geotiffs

Newcomb, Doug doug_newcomb at fws.gov
Wed Oct 1 06:41:06 PDT 2014

Hi,
I have a 4 band uncompressed geotiff ( NAIP data for North Carolina, USA)
that is 193 MB
I've been going over the compression options for gdal_translate  geotiffs
and I note the following:
gdal_translate -of “GTIFF” -co “COMPRESS=PACKBITS” gives me a file that is
194MB in size
gdal_translate -of “GTIFF” -co “COMPRESS=LZW” gives me a file that is 232MB
in size
gdal_translate -of “GTIFF” -co “COMPRESS=DEFLATE” gives me a file that is
177MB in size

Of the above  Lossless compression options for geotiff, it seems that
DEFLATE is the only one actually compressing.

I'm running gdal 1.11.0 on Ubuntu 12.04.3 64 bit compiled with ./configure
--with-libz   --with-png  --with-libtiff=internal
 --with-geotiff=internal   --with-jpeg=internal   --with-openjpeg
--with-pg=/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config --with-ogr --with-xerces
--with-geos --with-hdf4 --with-hdf5 --with-poppler=/usr/local/lib
--with-podofo --with-spatialite --with-netcdf

Is this expected behavior?

Doug
--
Doug Newcomb
USFWS
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov
The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of the
Interior.   Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.