[gdal-dev] Sample script idea: gdal_srsguess

Aaron Racicot aaronr at z-pulley.com
Fri Oct 31 09:54:19 PDT 2014

We played with something just like this last year (called projfinder):

http://projfinder.com/

That is just a simple demo application that was a proof of concept.  Center the map where you think your data is from, enter in a sample X,Y from your dataset and it tries to guess what projection your data is in.  Nothing fancy like parsing arbitrary file formats etc… just simple X,Y from your data.

I gave a presentation on it at FOSS4G-NA 2013 (you can reference it here):

http://reprojected.com/blog/2013/05/28/foss4g-na-2013-was-a-home-run/

If you are interested in the code I can point you to it.  In the end it is basically a simple web-service built around a PostGIS SQL query that does the distance calculations to percolate up likely projections against the EPSG database.

Aaron

--
Aaron Racicot
Z-Pulley Inc.