[gdal-dev] Working with Kakadu

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Sep 15 05:54:27 PDT 2014

Selon kursatk <kursatk at gmail.com>:

> Hi;
>
> I read lots of texts about gdal and kakadu, and i am a bit confused. I'm
> trying to read a jp2 image with kakadu driver by using gdal java bindings
> api. Hence, i should register JP2KAK driver. Most of my researchs say that,
> i can do that by building gdal with kakadu library. But, i wonder, isn't
> there a way to do that as using plugin architecture? I mean, i am looking
> for some easy ways.

In theory almost all GDAL drivers could be compiled as plugins, but not all of
them have the makefile support to do so. I've looked at the JP2KAK driver and
currently there are no makefile rules for Linux or Windows to make it build as a
plugin. I don't think there ara fundamental reasons for not having plugin
support for this driver (although JP2KAK could be a pain since the way the
Kakadu library makes it available to other programs/libraries is non standard).
Just someone has to do it.