[gdal-dev] gdaldem definitions

Dominik Schneider Dominik.Schneider at Colorado.EDU
Sun Sep 21 16:36:32 PDT 2014

Hi -
I was reviewing the gdaldem documentation and the definitions provided seem
to differ from those in the cited article (Wilson et al. 2007)
For example,
TRI should be "the central pixel is assigned the mean of the absolute
differences between a central pixel and its surrounding cells"
TPI "the central pixel is assigned the absolute difference between the
central pixel of a 3x3 window and all pixels within the 3x3 window"
roughness "the central pixel is assigned the largest inter-cell difference
within the 3x3 window surrounding the central pixel"

of course, this is assuming the algorithms are actually those presented in
the publication at the 3x3 scale as opposed to those written in the
documentation.

I assume the source code could be checked to resolve this question?

Thanks and my apologies if I misunderstood something.
Dominik