[gdal-dev] gdalwarp 'singular matrix' error on AVHRR L1B, but not when executed in GRASS console

Arghesti casperhui668 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 15:46:00 PDT 2015

Hi GDAL-Dev,

For my research, I need to use gdalwarp to rectify AVHRR L1B HRPT imagery
(Band 4). I am using the following command to do so, via bash script on
Linux:

/gdalwarp -tps inputfile.SOMEEXT outputfile.tif/

However, I get the following error messages:

/error: inv(): matrix appears to be singular

matrixInvert(): error occured.
  There is a problem to invert the interpolation matrix

error: inv(): matrix appears to be singular

matrixInvert(): error occured.
  There is a problem to invert the interpolation matrix.
Creating output file that is -2147483648P x 11177L.
ERROR 1: Attempt to create -2147483648x11177 dataset is illegal,sizes must
be larger than zero.
/

Strangely, the same command works nicely when I execute it under a GRASS
(after initializing the GRASS GUI, selecting the database directory,
location and mapset, and then) using the console on Windows 7. What am I
missing here?

Very much appreciate your help on this issue, thanks in advance.