[gdal-dev] baseline tiff and rpb file

Ivan Lucena lucena_ivan at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 10 12:56:30 PDT 2015

Hi there,

The documentation says:

"GDAL can read and write the RPCCoefficientTag as described in the
RPCs in GeoTIFF proposed extension. The tag is written only for
files created with the default profile GDALGeoTIFF. For other profiles, a .RPB file
is created. In GDAL data model, the RPC coefficients are stored into the RPC metadata domain.
For more details, see the RPC Georeferencing RFC.
If .RPB or _RPC.TXT files are found, they will be used to read the RPCs, even if the RPCCoefficientTag tag is set." [http://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html]

But there is no way to export the RPC metadata into the .tif.aux.xml file, like with other drivers.

I tried to turn off the create-option RPB but that doesn't work but It creates the .RPB file anyway.

$ gdal_translate -of gtiff <source dataset> output.tif -co profile=beseline -co RPB=no
$ ls
output.tif
output.RPB

That woks fine with PNG/JPEG/BMP

$ gdal_translate -of png <source dataset> output.png
$ ls
output.png
output.png.aux.xml

Is that how it suppose to be or is it a bug? I mean, by entering -co RPB=no GTIFF should create a  .aux.xml like other drivers do. Right?

Regards,

Ivan