[gdal-dev] Setting up C++ environment with GDAL on CentOS

Kyle Shannon kyle at pobox.com
Wed Apr 15 12:10:44 PDT 2015

Joshua,

On 04/15/2015 12:58 PM, Dr. Joshua Jackson wrote:
> Hey GDAL Team - I have a server running CentOS 6.  I have downloaded the
> complete 1.11.2 source and successfully built and installed GDAL.
>
> I am now trying to make my C++ program which uses GDAL and I’m not
> having any luck.  I get an “unknown reference” error on all my calls to
> GDAL methods. (GDALAllRegister, GDALOpen, etc).
>
> On my #include I get an error if I use #include “gdal/gdal_priv.h”; but
> it makes it past that point if I use #include “gdal_priv.h” alone.

#include "gdal_priv.h" is the proper syntax.  If you use a pre-built
package from ubuntu or fedora or other package maintainer, they
sometimes install the headers in a folder named gdal.  The standard
build does not.

> I am using cmake with this project and here is my CMakeLists.txt below.
>   I have manually set GDAL_INCLUDE_DIRS to be /usr/local/lib which is
> where all the libgdal*.so files are located.

I believe the proper name is GDAL_INCLUDE_DIR and it needs to point to
the headers so it should be /usr/local/include (assuming a standard
installation, see above).

> cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)
> project( AerialMask )
> find_package( OpenCV )
> find_package( GDAL )
> include_directories(
> ${OpenCV_INCLUDE_DIRS}
> ${GDAL_INCLUDE_DIRS}
> )
> add_executable( AerialMask AerialMask.cpp )
> target_link_libraries( AerialMask ${OpenCV_LIBS} )

You need to link to libgdal, so:

target_link_libraries( AerialMask ${OpenCV_LIBS} ${GDAL_LIBRARY} )

> Joshua Jackson, PhD
>
> Senior ResearchEngineer
>
> (800) 604-1822 Ext. 5109 <tel:8006041822,5109>(256) 648-5109
> <tel:2566485109>
>
> josh at nside.io <mailto:josh at nside.io>www.nSide.io <http://www.nSide.io>
>
> <http://www.nside.io/>4031 Parkway Dr, Suite B, Florence, AL 35630
>
> <http://www.linkedin.com/company/nside/><http://twitter.com/nSide__Out>