[gdal-dev] Regarding libkml driver

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 11 09:56:23 PDT 2015

On 11-08-15 18:37, Kurt Schwehr wrote:
> Wolf and I have joined in working on libkml.  We will be getting more
> transitioned from the old code.google.com site to
> https://github.com/google/libkml, will be pushing some general maintanence
> patches and will be getting the pull request processed.  We look forward to
> collaborating on future development of libkml.

The renewed interest in libkml from Google sounds promising.

What are your views on merging the work in the libkml/libkml fork back
into google/libkml?

The switch to CMake and removal of the third party dependencies in favor
of linking to system provided libraries solve the issues that required
patches in the libkml Debian package in the past. I'd like to see these
changes merged back into google/libkml to not loose these gains.

Most importantly the final 1.3.0 libkml release is long overdue, it has
been required for GDAL for many years now but many distributions still
ship libkml 1.2 (Fedora removed libkml even because it was abandoned
upstream). What do you think needs to be done to get the 1.3.0 release out?

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1