[gdal-dev] CSV driver does not understand allCountries.txt

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Aug 28 02:04:26 PDT 2015

Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahkonen <at> maanmittauslaitos.fi> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have understood that CSV driver should automatically recognize the
> allCountries.txt file from geonames.org. However, my GDAL 2.0 on Windows
> does not find any fields from the file. What is the expected output of
>
> ogrinfo -al -so -nocount -noextent allCountries.txt
>
> For me it only
> Geometry: None
> Layer SRS WKT: (unknown)
> [the first line of the allCountries.txt file]

By closer look it is not exactly that way. However, I guess that the
structure of data is changed.
http://download.geonames.org/export/dump/readme.txt is listing fields
"name", "asciiname", "alternatenames" but the data sample that we have in
autotest/ogr/data/allCountries.txt?rev=27748
seems to have just one name field.