[gdal-dev] Gdal 1.11.2 and libtiff

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Feb 5 10:21:12 PST 2015

Kurt,

Forwarding this publicly as this is of general interest.

I've created http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/5830 and commited :
branches/1.11 r28417 "Internal libtiff: partial upgrade to 4.0.4beta
(everything, except changes in tif_jpeg.c that are not security related and
cause differences in output) (#5830)"

My personal statement would be that people with high security concerns or
risks should avoid using libtiff, GDAL or more generally most imaging libraries
on untrusted datasets on non-isolated / non-sandboxed environments. Regarding
libtiff, disabling codecs that are somewhat esoteric (like NEXT compression
that has received security fixes in libtiff 4.0.4beta) might be prudent too.
See http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SecurityIssues

Even