[gdal-dev] compiling MrSID plugin

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Feb 19 10:03:51 PST 2015

On 2015-02-19 1:43 PM, Moritz Lennert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do'nt know if this is more an issue for DebianGIS, but I have the
> feeling it is an upstream issue, so I'm posting it here. Please redirect
> me if you think I'm wrong.
>
> I'm trying to activate MrSID support for GDAL.
>
> I downloaded and unpacked MrSID_DSDK-9.1.0.4045-linux.x86-64.gcc44.
>
> Then I ran the following on a Debian testing machine:
>
> **
> apt-get source gdal
> cd gdal-1.10.1+dfsg/
> debian/rules gdal-mrsid (which AFAIU basically just creates
> libgdal-mrsid-1.10.1.tar.gz and copies it to the directory above the
> GDAL source directory)
> cd ../
> tar xvzf libgdal-mrsid-1.10.1.tar.gz
> cd libgdal-mrsid-1.10.1/
> chmod +x configure
> ./configure --with-gdal=/usr/bin/gdal-config
> --with-mrsid=/home/mlennert/SRC/MrSID_DSDK-9.1.0.4045-linux.x86-64.gcc44/Raster_DSDK
> --with-jp2mrsid=no
> make
> sudo make install
> **
>
> I do not get any error message, but when I run
>
> gdalinfo --formats | grep -i sid
>
> the MrSID format is not listed.
>
> I ran ldd on the plugin .so installed in /usr/lib/gdalplugin
>
> and saw that it couldn't find libltidsdk.so.
>
> So I set
>
> export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/mlennert/SRC/MrSID_DSDK-9.1.0.4045-linux.x86-64.gcc44/Raster_DSDK/lib/
>

> and now ldd could find the library, but MrSID is still not listed
> amongst the available formats.
>
> I don't know if I completely misunderstand how this should be done, or
> if this a bug of some sorts.
>
> Several questions are open for me:
>
> - Seeing that the SDK seems to have been compiled with gcc44 do I have
> to use that too ? And does that mean I have to use gcc44 to compile gdal
> and all its dependencies manually ?
>
> - The SDK contains libgeos.so files but in a version that seems older
> than the one in Debian Jessie. Could that be a source of conflict that
> keeps GDAL from recognizing the plugin ?
>
> Any hints and pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks !
> Moritz

As I travel down the compile path, I always make sure to follow and
edit/update the BuildHints[1] wiki page for GDAL.  On that page MrSID
instructions are also listed[2].  For example, for building on Windows I
always must point to both the RASTER and LIDAR sdk's for this to work
properly (the equivalent on unix would be --with-mrsid and
--with-mrsid_lidar)

It would be great if you could update this buildhints page with your own
hints/advice for others too, during your travels.

-jeff

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BuildHints
[2] https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/MrSID

--