[gdal-dev] GDAL 2.0 plans/schedule ?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 01:01:22 PST 2015

11.02.2015, 13:37, Even Rouault kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> As I'll give a talk about GDAL 2.0 at FOSS4G-NA next month, I'm curious to
> know if folks have things in their queue for 2.0 that they would wish to be
> mentionned, or more generally they want to discuss here so that we have a
> better picture of what is going on.
>
> As fas as I'm concerned, beyond the already adopted or to-be adopted RFCs,
> I've at least the following points in my queue :
> - work on OGR transactions at dataset level rather than at layer level (RFC)
> - improvements in a few OGR drivers regarding FID management/options.
> - performance improvements in the GDAL block cache w.r.t multithreading
> - (to be confirmed) improvements in the JP2OpenJPEG driver regarding compliance
> with Inspire ortho-imagery technical guidelines and some more general purpose
> enhancements (support for alpha band in creation)
> - (to be confirmed) addition of a OGR MongoDB driver (loosely derived from the
> existing out-of-tree contribution with significant rework)

There hasn't been much talk about this. We have of course this

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GDAL20Changes

and maybe it should be checked for what is going to happen and what not.

I have some free time in the next weeks so I plan to go through the Perl
API and make some changes, some will break the existing API but those
will be in areas that have been made by Swig and not touched by me. I'll
make a list of breaking changes.

One principle I want to enforce is the use of strings for constants
(like data types, resampling methods etc.) in the API. I may
discover/invent some other things while I work through the API.

One thing which is what we could do is to do some house keeping in the
swig/include, which is a horrible mash of #ifdefs etc. Maybe some of the
language specifics could really be moved to language specific
subdirectories.

> I was thinking for a 2.0 beta1 at the end of April. Opinions ?

Sounds good to me.

Ari