[gdal-dev] NODATA tag

Tomer tomerlieber at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 07:57:55 PST 2015

Hello,

The existing behaviour of GDAL(e.g gdal_translate) is:
1. if we run "gdal_translate -a_nodata 255 input output"
the NODATA tag in the header of the output is written as 255
and the pixels that have no source data are set to the given NODATA value.

2. if we run "gdal_translate -a_nodata none input output"
there is no NODATA tag in the header of the ouput
and the pixels that no source data are set to 0(black)

How can we set the value of the pixels that have no source data without
creating the NODATA tag?
We have tried to modify the tiff driver by changing the
methodDataset::WriteNoDataValue in geotiff.cpp
(removing its content), it didn't change nothing in the behaviour (the
NODATA tag was still written)

Best regards,
Tomer