[gdal-dev] gdal_rasterize increase memory usage

jramm jamessramm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 02:15:36 PDT 2015

gdal_rasterize is limited to use just 10MB of memory (line ~640 of
gdalrasterize.cpp).

Is there anyway to change this (without having to recompile?)

I'm noticing that changing the output data format from Byte to Int16 or even
Int32 drastically reduces performance. This must be because the strict
memory limits imposed by gdal_rasterize means that the amount of data it
reads in one go is exponentially reduce each time I increase the integer
size. Thus it has to loop through the polygon set many more times.

I'm seeing drastic slow down by just changing from Byte to Int16 when using
gdal_rasterize (8-10 times slower)

Given that even the cheapest desktop has at least 1GB of RAM, isn't the
scanline buffer size over conservative?