[gdal-dev] Bindings

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 07:35:58 PDT 2015

Hi,

I've been trying to find a way to make the common SWIG interface files
less concerned about languages and the whole system more flexible and
understandable (which I see a prerequisite for further developments).

My conclusion seems to be now that it is probably better to make the
main files, what are now gdal.i, ogr.i etc., language specific and only
the class files, now ColorTable.i, MajorObject.i, etc., and some other
files (typedefs.i etc.) common. That way each language could compose the
module as they like. For example in Perl I would like to get rid of
Const, and a language could put all classes into one module (gdal) etc.

This would at least require extracting remaining common material in
gdal.i and ogr.i into new files.

I'll test this in my github fork - which I've mentioned a couple of
times already. But it will probably take some time due to summer etc.

Any comments on this? This is again just internal reorganization and
does not affect the APIs.

Ari