[gdal-dev] shape_encoding and Windows

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Jun 8 05:24:36 PDT 2015

Martin,

> it's seems to me that SHAPE_ENCODING doesn't work on Windows [1].

There's no [1] link in your email

> wonder how to set up encoding when reading Shapefiles on Windows,
> ENCODING options is new in GDAL 2.0?

As an open option, yes. But with previous versions (and still with 2.0), you can
specify it as the configuration option SHAPE_ENCODING.

It should work on Windows. The extent of support may vary how GDAL has been
built however. If GDAL has been built with iconv support, then you should have
full support. Otherwise it will use the Windows recoding API which is limited to
convert from encoding names of the form "CPxxx"

Even