[gdal-dev] Ascii Grid and Shapefile

David Fawcett david.fawcett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 13:57:12 PDT 2015

Edgar,

GDAL can read (and write) ArcInfo ASCII grids.  You can find more info
here:  http://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html#AAIGrid

The case that you are describing is not a great fit for GDAL alone.  If you
want to overlay your grid and other vector datasets in a desktop
application, you might want to look at QGIS http://www.qgis.org/en/site/

If you are more interested in styling the data and serving maps over the
Web, you may want to look at MapServer.  http://mapserver.org/

David.