[gdal-dev] Apparent problem with GDAL rpm (gdal-1.9.2-6.rhel6.i686)

Robert Inder robert at interactive.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 09:22:43 PDT 2015

On 12 June 2015 at 16:11, Andrew C Aitchison <andrew at aitchison.me.uk> wrote:

> I wasn't previously aware of the pgdg94 repository
> (I use ELGIS http://elgis.argeo.org/repos/6/elgis).
Ah!  OK...

Silly question, but how/why are you doing that?

I followed a "natural" sequence of links on the postgresql.org which
led me to a "repository RPM" that pointed to pgdg94.
How did you get to Elgis?

> If you are testing the 32-bit packages on a 64-bit machine,
> have you installed 32-bit libraries libraries ?

No, they are different machines.  We currently have a 32-bit
production server with Postgres 8 and PostGIS 1.5.

We need more server capacity, so the plan is to move to 64-bit,
Postgres 9 and PostGIS 2.1.  And that combination seems to work
nicely.

BUT I'd also like to be able to update Postgres/PostGIS on
the existing server.

I can do that OK EXCEPT that ogr2ogr won't talk to the database
(which other things are talking to, so Postgres itself is fine).

> A breif look at
> http://yum.postgresql.org/9.4/redhat/rhel-6.6-i386/gdal-1.9.2-6.rhel6.i686.rpm
> *suggests* that it does not have any postgresql dependencies,
> so you would be able to install it without any postgresql libraries.

But if I want/need it to talk to Postgres, what more do I need?

Robert.

--
Robert Inder,                                    0131 229 1052 / 07808 492 213
Interactive Information Ltd,   3, Lauriston Gardens, Edinburgh EH3 9HH