[gdal-dev] Fwd: [SoC] Report 3 - Integration of GDAL Utilities into GDAL Core library

Rutger kassies at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 23:59:34 PDT 2015

Great work, really looking forward to it. If i understand it correctly this
should make working with GDAL much more robust if you are using it with
language bindings.

For example, when using Conda (package/env manager) with GDAL and the Python
bindings. I often put the location of the GDAL utilities in my PATH, so
calling `gdalwarp` will work from anywhere. But if you make a new
environment with a different GDAL version, the PATH will still point to the
old version, and you would suddenly mix versions together if you combine the
utilities with the bindings.

Also, not everyone ships the utilities when they compile GDAL.