[gdal-dev] RPC orthorectification accuracy issues.

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jun 19 14:53:55 PDT 2015

Le vendredi 19 juin 2015 23:00:18, Frank Warmerdam a écrit :
> Even,
>
> I feel that the RPC coefficients have well establish meanings from the
> NITF spec, and file formats like _rpc.txt.  I assume they are
> center-of-pixel oriented.

I couldn't find anything explicit about that when skimming through
http://geotiff.maptools.org/STDI-0002_v2.1.pdf but you're likely right, and
anyway Pablo's investigations confirm it.

(although when looking at nitfimage.c, NITF has a record of being inconsistant
w.r.t that convention, at least for GCPs. IGEOLO is center-of-pixel. RPF
CoverageSectionSubheader is edge-of-pixel. BLOCKA is center-of-pixel. GEOLOB
is edge-of-pixel !)

> I would *not* want the RPC metadata we keep
> (ie https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc22_rpc) to have a different
> meaning for the pixel/line locations.  So I would suggest we should
> not need to transform the RPC coefficients when they are imported -
> instead it is the evaluator which needs to adapt between the RPC
> pixel/line model and the usual GDAL interpretation.
>
> I'll note this opinion in the ticket as well.
>
> This is going to be moderately distruptive. :-(

Actually keeping the RPC metadata as it is found in the sources (with the
exception of Pleiades and their weird center of pixel (1,1) convention
perhaps, as proposed in
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/attachment/ticket/5993/fix_PleiadesRPC.patch ?),
and doing the adjustment in the computation will be less disruptive for the
existing code than modifying the RPC metadata values for a half-pixel shift in
all deserializing/serializing .rpb and _rpc.txt code (+ you'd have to make a
special case when deserializing/serializing the RPC metadata domain in
.aux.xml and VRT !), so on reflection, I'm happy with Pablo's approach. We
would just need to document it that better in
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc22_rpc and
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_datamodel.html

My initial point was mainly for being consistant with what we do for
geotransform and GCP (standardizing on edge of pixel), but the structures in
which that information is stored are rather "GDALish" (and the conventions
among formats so different that you have to pick up one) whereas RPC metadata
is indeed more standardized.